What do Guidance Counsellors Do?
- Emotional, social, developmental, and behavioral support
- Personal and group counselling
- Academic advising and support
- Post-secondary and career awareness, exploration, planning and development
- Collaboration and coordination of resources within the school and the community
- Consultations with parents, teachers, support staff, and administrators
- School crisis intervention
When should I contact my counsellor?
Students should contact their guidance counsellor with:
- Academic concerns
- Social/emotional problems
- Interpersonal conflicts
- Class scheduling and courses
- Career exploration
- Post-secondary planning
Parents/guardians should contact their child’s guidance counsellor with:
- Concerns regarding academic performance
- Concerns regarding social and/or emotional well-being
- Information about special needs/ family situation
- Coordinating meetings with teachers and other support personnel
- College, career, and post-secondary planning
How to contact a guidance counsellor about a student?
Every student has an assigned counsellor that remains with them throughout their three years at CPA. A guidance counsellor may be contacted by:
- Student self-referral: Stopping by, leaving a note, emailing, or calling. For guidance counsellor contact information, please go to the Contact Us page.
- Teacher, administrator, or staff referral
- Parent referral
- Peer referral