About Us

What do Guidance Counsellors Do?

School counsellors provide an array of services, including:Circles

  • Emotional, social, developmental, and behavioral support
  • Personal and group counselling
  • Academic advising and support
  • Post-secondary and career awareness, exploration, planning and development
  • Collaboration and coordination of resources within the school and the community
  • Consultations with parents, teachers, support staff, and administrators
  • School crisis intervention

When should I contact my counsellor?
Students should contact their guidance counsellor with:

  • Academic concerns
  • Social/emotional problems
  • Interpersonal conflicts
  • Class scheduling and courses
  • Career exploration
  • Post-secondary planning

Parents/guardians should contact their child’s guidance counsellor with:

  • Concerns regarding academic performance
  • Concerns regarding social and/or emotional well-being
  • Information about special needs/ family situation
  • Coordinating meetings with teachers and other support personnel
  • College, career, and post-secondary planning

How to contact a guidance counsellor about a student?

Every student has an assigned counsellor that remains with them throughout their three years at CPA.  A guidance counsellor may be contacted by:

  • Student self-referral:  Stopping by, leaving a note, emailing, or calling.  For guidance counsellor contact information, please go to the Contact Us page.
  • Teacher, administrator, or staff referral
  • Parent referral
  • Peer referral